Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I Can Eat All of These Myself

Christmas is almost here! It's my favorite holiday because of all the singing. This is one of my favorite song arrangements. You should listen to it while making today's recipe. It's a family recipe and one my Mama made a holiday tradition a long, long time ago. It's easy and probably the best homemade dinner roll recipe ever. After getting sick on the dough I can still go ahead and eat half of the baked batch myself.


The recipe comes from my Mama's grandma, or my great grandma Callow. She never used a recipe and, while instructing my Mama how to make them, said things like "a scoop of butter about the size of an egg" and "a coffee cup full of sugar." I make these every Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter. Try 'em out. You won't be disappointed :)

Callow Rolls
Courtesy of Mama, a.k.a. Shelley. Makes around 24.

1 package yeast (NOT "rapid rise")
1 TBS granulated sugar
1/4 cup hot tap water
small bowl
1 cup milk
4 TBS vegetable shortening
2 tsp salt
small sauce pan
1 cup cold water
2 eggs
4-5 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
large bowl
extra flour
biscuit cutter
9x13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish
3/4 cup salted butter


1. In small bowl add yeast, 1 TBS sugar, and hot water.
2. Stir yeast and let sit until foamy.
3. In small sauce pan on the stove top, heat milk until hot but NOT boiling.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Add shortening to the sauce pan in chunks or pieces, not all in one giant blob.
6. Stir in 4 TBS sugar and salt and stir until all ingredients are dissolved.
7. Add cold water to sauce pan and stir.


8. Pour pan contents into large mixing bowl.
9. Add the yeast mixture to the large mixing bowl.
10. Add 2-3 cups flour or enough to beat easily (not splashy but not stiff).
11. Add eggs and beat thoroughly.


12. Continue adding flour, around 2 more cups, to make a stiff spoon batter. That means you want your batter to stick to your spoon but not be a lump of dough yet.



13. Scrape down the bowl and cover with a warm, damp cloth.


14. Let batter rise in a warm place with no drafts. It can take a hour or so.
15. When batter has doubled in size, stir down and let rise again.
16. Cut up your butter and place in baking dish.
17. Microwave or heat in the oven until melted.
18. On a smooth, well floured counter top or cutting board, turn out your batter.


19. Start incorporating flour and kneading into a soft dough.
20. Pat out dough to be about 1/2 inch think.
21. Cut into individual rolls with biscuit cutter.


22. Roll each dough piece in the butter and arrange in dish. Six across and four down usually works for me.


23. Turn on oven to 375 degrees ad let rolls rise in the dish for a bit.
24. Bake for 25 minutes or until th middle rolls just start to brown.
25. Serve hot, with more butter, jam, or as a sandwich the next day with left overs.
26. This recipe is easily doubled. Enjoy!

I also have a new addition to my kitchen - ta DA!


No, it's not mine, but my favorite new friend is lending it to me while he goes to Costa Rica. If he ever comes back, maybe I'll return it ;)

2 comments:

  1. They are SOOOOO good! I would know; I helped eat that batch! ;)

    Since you love Christmas music, maybe you should come over and sing with me...I went piano-crazy yesterday with carols!!! It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you friend! Next year? Singing carols is my FAVORITE part of the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete